Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Monday, August 20, 2012

Reflection on Sunday's arrival in Addis

We arrived around 7:45 am on Sunday in Addis. It was a beautiful day. We got through the transit Visa office and immigration fairly easily. While I got some funds converted to birr, Chris gathered our luggage. ALL of our bags made it. Yippee!! A far cry from our first trip where none of our bags made it. Just having our bags with us lifted off a huge weight. We headed toward the doors of the airport to find a multitude waiting for loved ones and friends. Within minutes, we found our driver holding a sheet of paper with our names on it. YAY again. What a relief. The first trip, they had given up on us and had left the airport and it left us stretched to find a way to communicate with the guest house to come pick us up. Anywhoo...will not say anymore about that. Sunday, we found peace. Everything worked as it stated in our travel packet. yay. On our way leaving the airport, I found myself more enthralled with the conversation in the van that the scenery we were passing. ..a complete turn around from the first trip. I remember being in such awe and culture shock on the first trip that I really wanted the driver to go super slow so I could capture more on film. This time, I didnt even reach for camera until we were almost at the guest house. I noticed this change to myself and reflected. What has made me so accustomed to this? I am not sure I figured out a real answer. I am pretty sure it is a combo of things. ONE..is that my focus was on going to the orphanage. I was pretty sure we were going to go that day because we had arrived so early. Another reason, is that once you have seen such vast poverty in such drastic ways, you get it. Atleast for me, instead of shock which is what I was feeling most of the first trip, it turns into more of a 'what can I do about this? how can help? I am gonna start with prayer'. As we drove past the familiar images of metal sided and roofed huts, and lonely passersby with famished faces, my heart grew to love this place even more. We got to the guest house, got settled into our room and discovered that we were not going to be able to visit the orphanage. BIG disappointment. Apparently, it was an orthodox holiday and not a good day to visit. Oh Well..I resolved to myself...more time to rest...and that is what we did. Chris and I managed to squeeze in a little nap after lunch and then promptly went to bed at 7pm. It was a stretch to even stay up until then. Unfortunately, we were up at 3am wide eyed and hungry. What to do? oh...let's go down and make some hot tea and have a snack..okay!! We drifted back off to sleep but me not so easily. Time was drawing nearer to see my baby and my nerves were giving me fits. sleep shannon..sleep. Lord, please let me sleep!!!

No comments: